The National Grid Far Rockaway Power Plant is a 100 megawatt, natural gas fired steam electric generating station. The station was originally commissioned in 1954 as a coal fired station and was converted to coal/fuel oil in 1966. Since 1994 the Far Rockaway station has utilized natural gas exclusively. The station was taken out of service in June of 2012 and in the late fall of 2012 North American dismantling was contracted to provide for the complete abatement and demolition of the power station.
Major Structures that were abated and dismantled include:
- Unit #4 including the boiler house and turbine hall.
- House boiler building.
- Service building.
- Circulating Water Intake Screen House.
- Chlorinator House.
- Fuel oil storage tanks including the 2,000,000 gallon Main Oil Tank and the 100,000 gallon Day oil tank, as well as, all ancillary underground and above ground piping and appurtenances.
- Fuel Oil Transfer House.
- Storage Building
- Water Tank and Pump House
- Fire Protection Building
- Ash Silo Building
- Continuous Emissions Monitoring Building
- Coal Handling Structures
- Transformers and Associated Overhead Transmission Lines
- Circulating Water Intake and Discharge Tunnels
- Barge Unloading Station
- Groundwater Monitoring Wells
- Permitted Production Water Wells.
Upon contract award NADC initiated preliminary project mobilization activities including permit acquisition. Detailed work plans and applications were filed with The City of New York Department of Buildings, Fire Department New York (FDNY), The City of New York Department of Environmental Control and The State of New York Department of Environmental Quality.